Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ketchum + Sun Valley, Idaho


We drove through this terrain for hours...
Driving from Oregon through the dessert terrain of Idaho was…hot. Temperatures were 100+ and this was the first time during our adventure we turned the air conditioning on in Nellie Belle. I know, I know…all of you in New Jersey are thinking, “Are you kidding? We have had record breaking heat waves!” My concern was for the kitties sleeping in the back (and yes, our personal discomfort, too), so the cool air was quite a relief. 
The topography of Idaho shift dramatically once you enter the mountain area, but it’s still very arid, so the vegetation is mostly cacti and low-lying bush. Mark had been to Sun Valley, Idaho years ago to ski and he wanted me to see the area. We spent two nights at a campsite in Ketchum and were able to buzz around town on our scooter to see the sights.
Sun Valley Ski Village
Mark chatting with Frank in Jersey...
You can see the ski trails on the mountain.
Sun Valley is a VERY high end ski resort area as evidenced by multi-million dollar ranch homes, exclusive boutiques, and expensive accommodations and recreational activities (18 holes of golf at the local course costs $140!).  In the 1940’s, 50’s, and 60’s it was an enclave for the Hollywood elite. We were chatting with a local who worked for the ski resort back then and had fond recollections meeting Lucille Ball, Carey Grant, and James Arnez from Gun Smoke. Today, it seems to have lost a bit of its glamour since it has to compete with Vail, Park City, Jackson Hole, Whistler, and Aspen (but they are definitely still catering to the wealthy).
Having a little fun since I could only afford a latte.
Love this : )
Browsing in a ski shop Mark was looking through the sale rack and called me over. He was holding a lightweight jacket and asked me to guess the price – it was similar to a North Face or Patagonia version. Hmm…the sign read, “50% OFF” so I said, “$130 is a reasonable sale price.”  Boy oh boy was I wrong! The original price was $1499 and the sale price was $749. I guess that’s why the Bush Tax cuts for the uber-rich cannot expire – they need to buy exorbitantly priced outfits for their exorbitantly priced vacations (sorry folks...I couldn’t resist). I am glad I was able to visit a new destination, but once was enough for me. Farewell, Sun Valley.

Heading to Wyoming to experience Yellowstone National Park.

Ciao’ for now : )

No comments:

Post a Comment